COVID-19 Bulletin No. 2: Immediate Actions To Be Taken By All Condominium Corporations
Updated on March 16, 2020 at 3:30 p.m.
Restrictions imposed by the Federal, Provincial and Municipal governments in response to the COVID-19 pandemic have required that Canadians immediately change our way of life; however, few condominium corporations have taken action in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Condominium corporations are the “fourth level of government” and are required to take reasonable steps to protect all persons on condominium property from foreseeable form and dangerous conditions. As the window to flatten the COVID-19 curb is narrowing, condominium corporations are urged to take action now to assist with the COVID-19 pandemic.
What can condominium corporations do immediately?
- close all common element amenity areas such as gyms, pools, saunas, change rooms, libraries, meeting rooms, media rooms, board rooms, games rooms, billiard rooms, party rooms, golf simulator rooms, yoga rooms, roof top terraces and barbecue areas;
- close all public washrooms and reserve same for the sole and exclusive use of contractors and the Corporation’s staff;
- close all on-site property management offices to residents and owners, and require that all residents and owners communicate with property management over the phone or by email;
- advise residents that non-essential visitors (including family and friends) should be discouraged;
- require that all residents returning from abroad:
- immediately notify property management of their return to Canada, so that the Corporation can notify other residents that a resident has returned from aboard and encourage other residents to exercise additional precautions; and
- upon returning to Canada, self-isolate in their unit for 14 days as required by the Government of Canada;
- require that all residents who have tested positive for COVID-19:
- immediately notify property management of same on a strictly confidential basis; and
- self-isolate in their unit for 14 days as required by the Government of Canada;
- if any resident tests positive for COVID-19, immediately notify all residents of same and strongly urge all residents to self-isolate in their units for 14 days;
- hold all Board meetings by way of teleconference only;
- postpone all unit owner and resident meetings until it is safe to reschedule; and
- implement a “virtual buddy system” to assist vulnerable members of the condominium community and to assist with the dangerous of social isolation.
It is advised that all condominium corporations send out an immediate notice to residents advising them of the same, and asking those who would like to participate in a “buddy system” to notify property management.
All of the information contained in this article is of a general nature for informational purposes only, and is not intended to represent the definitive opinion of the firm of Elia Associates on any particular matter. Although every effort is made to ensure that the information contained in this newsletter is accurate and up-to-date, the reader should not act upon it without obtaining appropriate professional advice and assistance.
© Elia Associates Professional Corporation, All Rights Reserve